Membership
Cool Links
Keep TEW Alive!

SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blegvad

re: Add-on Controversy

One of my only beefs with ESO when I first started to play was the lack of info/feedback in the interface. I didn't like the lack of combat text and health/stam/magicka bars with no numerical data.  This last weekend I started to use Foundry Tactical Combat and was generally pleased with the results as it showed my stats in addition to mob health.

Today I came across a thread on Reddit that is indicating that this same add-on can be used to create an auto-interrupt macro via the API.  This obviously has really bad implications for PVP and being so close to launch I wonder what might be done to sort this out?

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Here are the threads in question if you're interested in reading about it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1zgifa/tamriel_foundry_the_new_elitist_jerks/

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/this-kind-of-add-on-cannot-be-allowed/

Mithoron
Guild Founder

Well, if that IS the case (about the interrupts) I'm sure ZOS will somehow stop it.

If you recall there were similar issues with WoW retail, and they were soon squashed...

Retired:

Dragon Nest - Mithoronette (60 Spirit Dancer), Mithoronett (60 Soul Eater)
Star Wars the Old Republic - Mithoron (50 Sith Sorcerer)
Rift, Keenblade - Mithoronette (50 Riftstalker)
World of Warcraft, Icecrown - Darkmithoron (80 Deathknight), Mithoronakon (82 elemental Shaman), Mithoronakei (80 Resto Shaman)
Age of Conan, Wiccana - Mithoronette (80 Herald of Xotli)
Aion, Triniel - Mithoron (40 Spiritmaster)
Lineage 2, Seighart - Ladymithoron (55 Phantom Summoner), Wraithmithoron (50 Spellhowler)
Asheron's Call II OLD: Wraithmithoron (58 Zealot), Mithoron (55 Invoker), Deldharn (60 Clawbearer)
Ahseron's Call II NEW: Mithoronette (46 Zealot)
Asheron's Call I, Harvestgain - Mithoron (100 Battlemage)    

Croyd:
...this is not a democracy. It's a Mithocracy!
Blegvad

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I have faith that something that gamebreaking would have to be dealt with rather quickly.

As a beta weekender I don't have any access to the official boards to see if ZO has had anything to say about it.  Based upon the current thread on Tamriel Foundry I'd say that temperatures are running pretty hot on this topic so I'm sure there is plenty of discussion about it on the official boards.

I hope a balance can be found as I really didn't like the vanilla UI with no info at all.  

Hamfast58

the oldest fight in multi-player online gaming... Which plugins/addons are good, and which are bad...

A Company (Zos today, Turbine (AC1) before) allows added free development by allowing plugins that enhance their game/UI...

Folks who love the game make plugins, players love it...

Folks who are all fired interested in "Winning" make plugins that help them, but keep them private (this is unfair IMO)

Someone makes a public plugin that does what the private plugin does, catches all sorts of hell and is called nasty names... big stink, threats, lots of hate... a lot coming from the "holier then thou" crowd with the private plugins...

There are always 3 factions in these fights, the "Purist" that thinks there should be no plugins allowed, the "Hybrid" that wants to allow some, but not all plugins (normally limited to the plugins they like) and then there are folks like me, my only stipulation would be no private plugins... everyone plays as they like on an even playing field. 

if Zos can figure out a way to "License" addons so that only the licensed ones will work, then they can limit the actions an addon will make, as long as the interface has hooks that addon developers can use, someone will exploit them for their own gain (perceived or otherwise).

Exploits are bad, everyone agrees (even the exploiters), but the policing costs to Zos (as it was for Turbine) can get to a point that it costs more then what the game can afford.

Asheron's Call 1 coined the term "UCM" there were combat macro's, they were ok, but a UCM (Unattended Combat Macro) was bad... there were a number of private combat macro's that allowed their users to level and prosper far more then other players... then the first public combat macro was released, and the term UCM was born.

ZOS posted an updated about this here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8282/page/1

The best quote from the article (IMO) is this: 

As we get closer to launch, our beta events have continued to grow in player-size, and that growth has resulted in even more and more of you taking the time to experiment with our UI modding tools. It’s exciting to see the amazing add-ons you have come up with and for us, as developers, it’s also a very important part of the beta process. Seeing what the community wants to add or change is helpful as we continue to tweak and balance the game – what are people looking for? what works? what doesn’t? Finding the right answers to these questions often means leaving the API very open during this beta phase. It helps us see where limits may or may not be and helps us determine what makes the best possible ESO experience for everyone.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Eternal Watch Forum Index -> TESO Addons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: